Safety Rescue and Support Boat Instructor – This hands-on, on-the-water course is for anyone who will be using powerboats to perform safety and rescue functions. It is designed for regatta personnel, marine patrols, police and fire rescue personnel, park rangers, and on-the-water sailing instructors and coaches.
COURSE FORMAT & LENGTH
This is a 1-day, 10-hour course. Attendance at all course sessions is mandatory. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
- Current Safe Powerboat Handling Instructor Certification and succesful completion of the Safety and Rescue student level certification.
- Current US Sailing Individual, College or Family Membership
Youth membership is not applicable, and only one instructor is allowed per family membership.
- Ability to swim 50 yards both with and without a life jacket.
- Ability to exhibit appropriate personal and interpersonal skills.
- Valid SafeSport Certificate. This program, developed by the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This requirement is also being put in place for other National Governing Bodies. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.
- A few notes on completing Safesport:
- Enter your US Sailing member number. If you need to find it click here.
- Complete all the modules.You DO NOT have to complete it all at once.
- The course allows you to log in and out without losing your progress.
- A few notes on completing Safesport:
The following are required for successful completion of this courses:
- Attendance at all portions of the course.
- Successfully passing all written tests and skill evaluations.
- A positive evaluation by the Instructor Trainer.
Demonstrate professional conduct, an open-minded, positive and enthusiastic attitude, appropriate appearance (clothing, footwear and tidiness), participation in discussions, collaboration skills/team player, confidence and ease of manner.
Safety and Rescue Boat Handling Instructor Certification is not valid unless accompanied by:
- First Aid and CPR Certification: from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or and U.S. Coast Guard approved provider. Candidates do not need to complete the CPR/First Aid Training in advance of the Level 1 course, however a certification will NOT be valid unless accompanied by current First Aid and CPR.
WHAT YOU CAN TEACH WITH THIS CERTIFICATION
Certified Safety and Rescue Boat Handling Instructors can can certify people as having completed Safety and Rescue Boat Handling skills.
All course materials are delivered digitally and are made available via US Sailing's online bookstore. Printed versions of the materials are available for purchase during the registration process. The printed version of the materials also includes a whistle and lanyard in the purchase price.
$175.00 per candidate. Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
CANCELLATION & TRANSFER POLICIES
Course fees are non-refundable but are transferable to another course up to 1 week prior to the course start date. The fee for all transfers is $25.00.
To transfer into a different session:
- Log in to your US Sailing account here: MyUSSailing
- Select the My Certs and Courses tab from the options on the left, then click the transfer link.
- Submit Payment details
- Confirm transfer
- Course Transfers are not available within the week of the course start.
US Sailing/US Powerboating reserves the right to cancel, postpone, abandon or change the venue, date and time of the course should unforeseen circumstances occur or course minimums are not reached. In the event the course is unable to proceed, a course credit will be made available which is good for one (1) year or you may choose a refund.
Fees are not transferable to another candidate.
Please select "Enroll Now" to see a full list of prerequisites and to register.
Please be aware that Safe Powerboat Handling Instructor and Safety and Rescue Boat Handling courses are both shown on this calendar.
If you are interested in hosting an Instructor Course, please fill out the online "Host a Course Form."
Questions? email: email@example.com.