- Practice and develop the skill of steering on a compass course for at least 100 yards.
Setting Up the Drill:
- Equipment: compass
- Individual compass course assignments are prepared for each operator.
Conducting the Drill:
- Each operator starts from the trainer boat and proceeds on their assigned compass heading for at least 100 yards.
- Trainer checks accuracy of operators to steer their assigned compass headings by using a hand bearing compass.
- Chasing the compass rather than using small adjustments to stay on desired heading.
- Safety & Rescue Boat Handling On-Water Skill Standard 2.2 and its rubrics