- Practice and develop the boat handling skill of operating a boat with control at the slowest possible speed (slower than at idle speed) when docking, approaching a ramp or mooring, or maneuvering in a marina
Setting Up the Drill:
- Boats prepare to get into their formation positions abeam of the trainer boat as per trainer’s instructions.
- Boats start from a position dead in the water or near a dock.
Conducting the Drill:
- Operators line up parallel and abeam on either side of trainer boat.
- Operators match trainer boat’s minimum control speed for at least 10 boat lengths.
- Reinforces concept of constant bearing to maintain position to trainer boat and match trainer’s minimum control speed.
- Not staying abeam of the trainer boat, resulting in failure to match the trainer’s minimum control speed.
- Safe Powerboating Handling On-Water Skill Standard 3.1 and its rubrics
- Start Powerboating Right! textbook pg. 45