- Hold a boat in a fixed position while waiting for dock space, ramp access, or a bridge or lock to open.
- Stresses the importance of the maxim, “Keep the stern away from danger.”
Setting Up the Drill:
- Equipment: 4 to 6 buoys (used for Backing Slalom or Approach a Buoy/Mooring drills)
Conducting the Drill:
- Operator holds position upwind of the buoy within 1 boat length with the bow toward buoy for at least 1 minute.
- Easier to hold position upwind/upcurrent with stern pointing into wind or current (whichever is stronger) than with bow pointing into wind or current.
- Anticipate boat drift.
- Make small, gentle corrections early.
- Failing to keep the stern away from danger (buoy).
- Safe Powerboating Handling On-Water Skill Standard 3.6 and its rubrics
- Start Powerboating Right! textbook pg. 46