- Practice and develop the boat handling skill of controlling the boat when making a series of turns in forward gear.
- Apply the pivot point principle while turning through the slalom.
Setting Up the Drill:
- Equipment: 4 to 6 buoys
- Trainer sets 4 to 6 buoys in a row about 4 boat lengths apart aligned with the wind or current (whichever is stronger).
Conducting the Drill:
- Operators rendezvous and hold position to leeward and port of the line of buoys.
- An operator proceeds through slalom, exits slalom at windward buoy and returns to rendezvous point.
- Start second boat as soon as first boat clears the course.
- For beginning operators, have each perform the drill one at a time.
- For more advanced operators, can have up to two operators performing the drill at the same time.
- Oversteering and overturning in the turns.
- Start Powerboating Right! textbook pg. 44