What is a Powerboat Training Center?
Powerboat Training Centers support the mission of US Powerboating by providing recreational boaters of all skill levels with access to hands-on, on-the-water training and education courses. Powerboat Training Centers were originally founded through a partnership between US Powerboating and the U.S. Coast Guard’s Boating Safety Division. Together, they support the U.S. Coast Guard’s mission to minimize the loss of life, personal injury, property damage, and environmental impact associated with the use of recreational boats, through preventive means, in order to maximize safe use and enjoyment of U.S. Waterways by the public.
Training Centers differ from Accredited Schools and Providers in the fact that they are mandated by contract with US Powerboating to offer a set number of courses, types of courses, and how many people they will certify.
- 33 Powerboat Training Centers in 15 states
- More than 1,000 students trained at Powerboat Training Centers annually
- More than 150 courses taught annually
Become a Powerboat Training Center
If you represent a boating organization that is interested in providing training and education for recreational boaters, we want to speak with you! Powerboat Training Centers are authorized to host all of US Powerboating’s educational courses and work diligently to support the mission of enhancing the quality of on-the-water training in the United States.
We take the application process seriously to ensure that only we are delivering top quality training an education to the public. However, we will work with you throughout each step of the application process.
Below you will find the minimum requirements to be considered for application:
- Must have a minimum of 1 Certified Powerboat Instructor on staff
- Must have a minimum of 3 powerboats in good, working order. Powerboats must be 17’-26’ with adequate engine horsepower to plane with 2-3 adults onboard.
- Must have classroom space that can accommodate up to 8 or more students.
- Most importantly, Powerboat Training Centers are required to meet specific participation goals annually in order to retain their designation at Powerboat Training Centers. US Powerboating will work with you to determine these goals based on school size, demographics, and local market conditions.
U.S. Coast Guard Boating Safety Division
To learn more about the USCG’s Boating Safety Division please visit their website: www.uscgboating.org/