This 8- to 12-hour hands-on, on-the-water course is for anyone who has taken a classroom boating course but needs experience to safely operate a small motorboat and improve their boathandling skills. Students will be expected to study the course materials at home to challenge and pass a written exam covering equipment requirements, rules of the road, aids to navigations, preparation, environment regulations, safety and emergencies.
This course focuses on hands-on application of all skills, consequently it is NOT approved by the U.S. Coast Guard or the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) as meeting requirements for a state boating safety education certificate.
US Sailing Membership is not required to participate in an Accelerated Safe Powerboat Handling course.
- Engine & electrical systems
- Starting procedures
- Leaving & returning to a slip
- Close-quarters maneuvers
- Steering a range
- Proceeding to a destination
- Person in Water rescue
- Safety, prep & weather briefings
- Maneuvering concepts
- Challenge test-out
- State Boating Education Card recommended, but not required.
- 10–adult (may be affected by state minimum age)
- US Sailing/US Powerboating Safe Powerboat Handling Certificate