Powerboat Instructor Certification Program (see below)
Click here for Cruising Powerboat Instructor
An intensive 3-day course for advanced powerboat operators who will operate boats 26 feet and under, instructor candidates will learn the fundamentals of on-the-water instruction. Candidates must successfully demonstrate superior presentation, teaching and powerboat operation skills in order to complete this course. Upon graduation, instructors will be eligible to teach Safe Powerboat Handling and Safety & Rescue Boat Handling courses.
Certified Instructors have access to numerous benefits including; continuing education, marketing resources and access to a network of over 700 Powerboat Instructors and more than 100 training facilities nationwide.
This is a rigorous course. It is highly recommended that you take a Safe Powerboat Handling course prior to taking this course.
On-the-Water Skills and Classroom Topics
- Fundamentals of teaching; teaching theory
- Classroom, dockside, and on-the-water teaching techniques
- Powerboat handling skill assessment and error correction
- NASBLA Standards
- Risk management and legal requirements
- Lesson planning
- Powerboats and propulsion types
- Systems: engine, fuel, electrical, and troubleshooting
- Powerboat handling principles
- Boat control: speed, docking, precision maneuvering
- Collision prevention; COLREGS review
- Handling emergencies
- Overboard recoveries
- Safety and rescue procedures
- Search and rescue boat operations
- Concepts of bearings and ranges, position and course plotting
- Using GPS and hand-bearing compass
- How to conduct Safe Powerboat Handling Courses and
- Safety, Rescue and Support Boat Handling Courses
- Successful completion of US Powerboating’s Safe Powerboat Handling course is highly recommended.
- Must be at least 18 years old or turn 18 within the calendar year of the course you are taking.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification. US Powerboating accepts courses from the U.S. Coast Guard’s approved list.
- Ability to swim 50 yards both with and without lifejacket.
- Ability to exhibit appropriate personal and interpersonal skills.
- Current US Sailing Adult Individual Membership (To purchase a membership please visit the US Sailing Website)
- Powerboat Instructor Course: $350
- Early registration discount: 4 weeks prior to the course: $25
- Late fee for registration 1 week prior to a course $50
- US Sailing/US Powerboating Adult Individual Membership ($65 1 yr, $120 2 yr, $160 3 yr)
- Course fees are nonrefundable.
- For cancellations more than 4 weeks before the course date, the fee is transferable to another course.
- For cancellations within the 4 week period, ½ of the course fee will be transferable to another course.
- For no-shows, 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
- If US Powerboating or the host venue cancels the course, 100% of the course fee will be refunded or transferred to another course.
To enroll in a Powerboat Instructor Course, please select “Enroll Now” under the desired offering. All courses are first come, first served.
If you have questions or concerns regarding a particular course, please do not hesitate to contact us: (401)342.7900×7934 or firstname.lastname@example.org